Getting the scheduled appointment
I have scheduled the visit to passport seva kendra (PSK) Ameerpet, hyderabad around 15 days back on 4th May 2012.
I had embarked on the project to get my children passport 3 months back in Feb 2012. I was not getting the schedule appointment. I have tried to get Tatkal appointment first. Later tried for Normal appointment. Open appointment slots were never for Ameerpet, Begumpet, Tolichowki Psks in hyderabad. Call center 18002581800 informed to try at 7:30PM exactly Sunday thru Thursday to get one. I read in blogosphere that other users were also facing hardship on this. Fortunately, something really changed in May 2012. passportindia.gov.in got fixed and started showing open slots anytime in the day. They were 15 days out but that is acceptable. Thanks PSK.
Homework before the visit to PSK
I have to get the fresh passport for my children 3+ and 4+ years old. I tried the document advisor on the site. this link shows up only after login. After checking a set of check boxes, I came to know the documents I need to carry. I have jotted down doubts and made 2-3 calls to the call center ( 18002581800 )who were able to clarify the doubts. Few facts:
- My Feb application was 90 days old. so – I submitted to fresh new application online when taking the appointment in May. call center informed that 90 days older application won’t be accepted.
- For 3+ year child, call center advised to carry passport size photo (4.5cm x 3.5cm) white background. For 4+, it will be taken at the PSK. and not required.
- I carried photos for him also to be on safe side.
- I had my passport endorsed with my wife name. Also birth certificates for the children. That is all needed. One xerox copies of each document, self attested.
- My children birth certificate had the changed name of my wife after marriage where as we had not yet applied for her passport name change. Hence, I decided to carry marriage affidavit (annexure D) which came handy during the visit. I do not have the marriage certificate.
- I also carried other supporting documents for the changed name for my wife – her bank account statement for a year, voter id. but verification concluded with marriage affidavit and did not need other documents.
- Children need to visit along with you to PSK. me and my wife both went to the PSK. it helped since both children were called on different counters at the same time.
- Carried originals of all document – passports of parents, birth certificates. these were referred multiple times for verification at PSK.
- No DD is required. PSK accept the fees in cash. I paid Rs 600/- per child.
- Original Marriage affidavit (annexure D) copy is taken up. I had carried two original marriage affidavits. This work can be done in front of kukatpally eseva office for 100-150/- per marriage affidavit. There are small small shops in front of the office that do the notary documents work. They also have the annexure D format. you need to carry a photo of both of you together which the guy will cut to smaller size and paste on the affidavit. if I had marriage certificate, probably this was not required.
Visit to PSK
With all the home work done, I checked all documents once more in the morning, and started 1 hr before the reporting time. Aditya trade center is little inside on the road turning right beside Mytrivanam building. This road is one way. I need to take U turn and taken turn before MyTrivanam and come to the place. Autowala helped to give the direction. It’s a tall new building but no parking inside. Need to find a place to park outside. Given I was early 9:30am – found parking place.
After this – PSK experience was awesome. Centralized AC, neat and clean. No confusion. Full process is streamlined into 3 steps with a token number. Your token number fleshes on big multiple LCD TV along with officer cube number to visit, in waiting lounges. Given that we were with children, we were accommodated on a separate queue and officer came to us to speed up collecting right documents. Directed us to a counter to create a file and generate token number for us. With in 10 minutes, we had the token and entered the waiting lounge. We met 3 officers after this before getting done.
- First, customer service executive. (CSE) queue A. She took all right documents, first level verification, scanned and uploaded to server, also took thumb print in case of minor. For below 5 years, finger prints were not taken. While executive is processing items on computer, you can see all details on a LCD display facing you. awesome! All of them – dressed in the same dress, equipped with latest fast scanner. Process took order of 15 minutes.
- Next we waited in waiting lounge for your token to flash for a VO (Verification officer) counter, queue B. There are afaiu, government passport officers. This steps took a wait time of order of 1 hour. but place is well kept, we were just fine waiting for our turn. I was probably mesmerized by this much (unexpected) order in the place! Primarily, this is because there are order of 4-5 VOs for 14-15 CSEs. VO looked at originals and scanned documents, verified and pushed the token to next queue C. This meeting was order of 10 minutes.
- Next we need to wait for the PO (passport officer) in queue C. Wait time was less here order of 10 minutes. There are around 3-4 PO counters. PO did sanity check of the documents against original and I think approved the application. File was kept with her and we were directed to exit counter to collect acknowledgement receipt. This interaction was order of 5 minutes.
- Exit counter we got the acknowledgement receipt without any wait time in another 5 minutes. We are expected to get out from the door next. We got out at around 12 noon. done!
How was the experience
This experience has been one of its kind. Simply awesome! Home work also paid, I indeed need to attach marriage affidavit for one child application because of my wife changed name in birth certificate.
I have to visit 2 more times yet once to re-issue my parents passport, and once for my wife. will update on that later.
Last time I had such experience dealing with governmental formality was Aadhar card registration process at Karvy office. It was highly stream lined with no confusion. but Aadhar card never got delivered – we are waiting yet for 8 months for them to come home! I will inform later when the passport arrive home. For children, policy verification is not required.
Update: passport for one child is delivered on 5/24 by speed post within one week, awesome. The application was normal, not tatkaal.
This is the role model experience for application processing at PSK. We need all government offices to get HERE (especially RTOs where I have struggled). Thanks to the PSK Team for making my day today!
Update: My wife passport got delivered today. I visited regarding change of spouse name in my passport yesterday. details here.